DMP ‘Acting’ on Party Wall in Hildenborough.
Discover If You Require A Party Wall Award For Your Construction Project

A residential client approached DMP in order to understand and observe the correct procedures under the Party Wall Act 1996 for their proposed extensions and refurbishment work at their property in Hildenborough, Kent. 

Owing to the proposed works, DMP were instructed to provide professional Party Wall Award services, acting as the Building Owner’s Surveyor and working with appointed Adjoining Owner Surveyors to negotiate and agree formal Awards with both neighbours.

Timescales were tight due to contractor availability, and DMP were instructed, attended site, agreed and negotiated the required Awards with both adjoining owners all within 5 weeks and pre-Christmas to maintain the programme of works and start date as set by our client on instruction.

DMP Icon Conservation & Heritage Party Wall DMP Icon Residential Party Wall

What is Party Wall?

To extend or develop your home or commercial property, whether this is a loft conversion or an extension or internal structural alterations, you may be required to serve notification of your proposed works under the Party Wall Act 1996 to your neighbours.

A Party Wall is a wall shared by two (or more) properties. Which is usually divided by the boundary line but can also be classified as a party structure, being that of a floor or other structure that separates buildings or parts of buildings with different owners, eg flats. It could also include a freestanding garden wall if it that wall is built astride the boundary.

If you are intending to complete works to your property, and those works include any of the below, party wall notice(s) may be required to be served.

  • Are you proposing works to an existing wall, ceiling or floor structure shared with another property?
  • Building on or at the boundary with another property?
  • Excavating in close proximity to a neighbouring building or structure?

Furthermore, If your works fall under any, or all of the above you must find out whether the work falls within the scope of the Act. In doing so you must serve the statutory notice(s) on all those defined in the Act as ‘adjoining owners’. Failure to observe the Act 1996 could result in the building works being unlawful.

DMP-LLP Party Wall DMP _ Party Walls

How We Can Help You

Recently, DMP have been involved with various Party Wall matters. Including, high street commercial redevelopments with multiple adjoining owners, to residential owners wishing to extend their home with their garden enclosed by a Grade II listed ‘party wall’ owned by Tunbridge Wells Borough Council. 

Importantly, DMP have provided support to progress the protection and procedures of the Act to benefit both owners (neighbours). Providing route to rectification and support should any disputes arise.

Whether it is a commercial or residential development, the legislation of the Act may be required to be observed.

If you have received a notice or are intending to complete any works that may be covered under the legislation, you should contact a Party Wall Surveyor for advice. Your appointed Party Wall Surveyor would deal with matters on your behalf and ensure your rights are protected under the provisions of the Act.

Under all normal circumstances all of the party wall surveyor’s fees and reasonable associated costs would be met by the building owner proposing to undertake the work.


Contact Our Team

Contact us to discuss which professional service best suits your needs and to obtain a quote.

Furthermore, to learn more about how we think read our interesting news feeds and case studies.

Would you like to discuss a project?

01892 534455