Discover How DMP Can Assist
With Your Party Wall Matters

With multiple articles in the wider press regarding the extremely buoyant property market with demand outstripping supply.

There is another avenue of creating that extra space. Smart homeowners are improving what space they have already.

Residential Offices and Commercial

DMP can assist you with either avenue. Whether moving home and a Full Building Survey for your new property, or architectural design and professional services to create your dream space.

Should the development avenue be favoured there are important statutory requirements to observe. The usual requirements are Planning and Building Control permissions. In addition, the Party Wall Act 1996, both of which our experienced teams can facilitate.

DMP Surveyors have industry experience and understanding of the Party Wall legislation and procedures. Our team will assist your proposals to ensure that you achieve all relevant statutory requirements. Whether you are looking to complete the work (building owner), or are next door to the work happening (adjoining owner). DMP can help.  

What is Party Wall?

DMP-LLP Party Wall


To extend or develop your home, whether this is a loft conversion or an extension, you may be required to serve notification of your proposed works under the Party Wall Act 1996 to your neighbours.

A Party Wall is a wall shared by two (or more) properties. Which is usually divided by the boundary line but can also be classified as a party structure, being that of a floor or other structure that separates buildings or parts of buildings with different owners, eg flats. It could also include a freestanding garden wall if it that wall is built astride the boundary.

If you are intending to complete works to your property, and those works include any of the below, party wall notice(s) may be required to be served.

  • Are you proposing works to an existing wall, ceiling or floor structure shared with another property?
  • Building on or at the boundary with another property?
  • Excavating in close proximity to a neighbouring building or structure?

Furthermore, If your works fall under any, or all of the above you must find out whether the work falls within the scope of the Act. In doing so you must serve the statutory notice(s) on all those defined in the Act as ‘adjoining owners’. Failure to observe the Act 1996 could result in the building works being unlawful.

How We Can Help You?

Recently, DMP have been involved with various Party Wall matters. Including, high street commercial redevelopments with multiple adjoining owners, to residential owners wishing to extend their home with their garden enclosed with a Grade II listed ‘party wall’ owned by Tunbridge Wells Borough Council. 

Importantly, DMP have provided support to progress the protection and procedures of the Act to benefit both owners (neighbours). Providing route to rectification and support should any disputes arise.

Whether it is a commercial or residential development, the legislation of the Act may be required to be observed.

If you have received a notice or are intending to complete any works that may be covered under the legislation, you should contact a Party Wall Surveyor for advice. Your appointed Party Wall Surveyor would deal with matters on your behalf and ensure your rights are protected under the provisions of the Act.

Under all normal circumstances all of the party wall surveyor’s fees and reasonable associated costs would be met by the building owner proposing to undertake the work.

Contact Our Expert Team


If you are involved in any Party Wall matters and would like some free advice contact us.

Alternatively, review the below links for up to date, relevant, impartial information.

Furthermore, to learn more about how we think read our interesting news feeds and case studies.

Government Webpages, Guidance booklets and Legislation:

RICS – An Owner’s Guide to the Party Wall etc. Act 1996:

Would you like to discuss a project?

01892 534455