Residential Party Wall in Tonbridge.
DMP Can Assist Your Party Wall Needs

Instructed on Party Wall Matters for our client, working as the Adjoining Owner’s Surveyor for works commending at the adjacent semi-detached property.

DMP _ Party Wall Matters _ Kings Road Tonbridge

Party Wall procedures should be reviewed for all building work, although especially when works are to a shared party wall or in close proximity to neighbouring structures.

DMP _ Party Wall Matters _ Kings Road Tonbridge DMP _ Party Wall Matters _ Kings Road Tonbridge

What is Party Wall?

To extend or develop your home, whether this is a loft conversion or an extension, you may be required to serve notification of your proposed works under the Party Wall Act 1996 to your neighbours.

A Party Wall is a wall shared by two (or more) properties. Which is usually divided by the boundary line but can also be classified as a party structure, being that of a floor or other structure that separates buildings or parts of buildings with different owners, eg flats. It could also include a freestanding garden wall if it that wall is built astride the boundary.

If you are intending to complete works to your property, and those works include any of the below, party wall notice(s) may be required to be served.

  • Are you proposing works to an existing wall, ceiling or floor structure shared with another property?
  • Building on or at the boundary with another property?
  • Excavating in close proximity to a neighbouring building or structure?

Furthermore, If your works fall under any, or all of the above you must find out whether the work falls within the scope of the Act. In doing so you must serve the statutory notice(s) on all those defined in the Act as ‘adjoining owners’. Failure to observe the Act 1996 could result in the building works being unlawful.

DMP-LLP Party Wall

How DMP Can Help You?

Recently, DMP have been involved with various Party Wall matters. Including, high street commercial redevelopments with multiple adjoining owners, to residential owners wishing to extend their home.

Importantly, DMP have provided support to progress the protection and procedures of the Act to benefit both owners (neighbours). Providing route to rectification and support should any disputes arise.

Whether it is a commercial or residential development, the legislation of the Act may be required to be observed.

If you have received a notice or are intending to complete any works that may be covered under the legislation, you should contact a Party Wall Surveyor for advice. Your appointed Party Wall Surveyor would deal with matters on your behalf and ensure your rights are protected under the provisions of the Act.

Under all normal circumstances all of the party wall surveyor’s fees and reasonable associated costs would be met by the building owner proposing to undertake the work.

Contact Our Team Today!

If you are involved in any Party Wall matters and would like some free advice contact us.

Alternatively, review the below links for up to date, relevant, impartial information.

Furthermore, to learn more about how we think read our interesting news feeds and case studies.

Government Webpages, Guidance booklets and Legislation:

RICS – An Owner’s Guide to the Party Wall etc. Act 1996:

Would you like to discuss a project?

01892 534455